3 Home Maintenance Tips For Raleigh Summers
In summertime, your biggest care should be about having enough food for your summer party, and not how to handle high utility bills, a rotted deck, or a busted appliance. The key to summer home maintenance in Raleigh is prevention. By inspecting and fixing small problems, you can guard against bigger, more expensive problems in the future. Here’s 3 summer home maintenance tips that will keep you in control of your home’s maintenance before bigger problems happen.
1. Make Your Home More Energy Efficient
Summer is one of the best times in Raleigh to work on your home’s energy efficiency so that you can keep the heat out and your energy bills low. Begin by checking your doors and windows for leaks that let air in. Put weatherstripping on doors or replace brittle weatherstripping if you feel air leaking through. Check your windows’ caulking for any cracks or missing pieces and replace the broken sections.
Using energy efficient window treatments like plantation shutters is another way you can reduce your energy bill - and potentially qualify for a tax credit. Polywood® faux wood plantation shutters reduce air transfer through your windows. They’re 70% more energy efficient than traditional wooden shutters and 1600% more energy efficient than aluminum blinds which many homes currently use.
2. Brighten Up Your Patios And Porches
If you’re planning on hosting parties on your patio or deck during the summer, make sure it’s in the best shape for guests. First, inspect your deck or patio for safety. Look underneath to see if there are any boards, supports, or steps that need to be replaced because they’re broken and can’t bear weight. Then stain or seal your patio and deck to make it look like new again and shield it from the bright summer sun and rain.
Once you’ve replaced or repaired any broken boards and areas and stained your patio, you’re ready for the fun part - making it shine. Add interest to the windows and doors adjacent to your porch and patio by adding window treatments such as plantation shutters for your french door or sliding doors or sidelight shutters. Then add your favorite patio furniture or a fire pit. The last step is to landscape the edges of your porch or patio to bring in color.
3. Maintain Large Appliances
Broken or leaky appliances can put a stop to your summer plans. Here’s a few things to watch out for with your major appliances to help them run smoothly:
● Refrigerator. Clogged refrigerator coils can raise your utility bill since your fridge needs to work harder. It’s easy to clean and vacuum them out. Begin by unplugging your refrigerator and then use your vacuum’s crevice tool (or a coil cleaning brush attachment) to vacuum out and unclog the coils.
● Dishwasher. Inspect your dishwasher for any backed up water or leaks. Then deodorize it and give it a deep clean by running a cycle with a cup of vinegar. The last step is to empty and clean the filter (located underneath the spray arms in most dishwashers) with soap and water.
● Washer and dryer. Check your washing machine hoses for any bulges, cracks, or leaks. Replace the hoses if needed. You should clean out your dryer hose and exterior vent annually or hire a professional to do the job.
Have A Fun Summer
By keeping on top of your home and appliances, you can enjoy a relaxing summer. If you want to give your home a beautiful look this summer with window treatments for your patios, kitchens, or bedrooms, browse through our idea gallery and then call us for a free in-home consultation at 919-887-9198. We’ll walk you through all your window treatment options in Raleigh and do all the work and installation so you can just relax and enjoy your summer.